The Organizing committee of the IV Arctic International Film Festival «Golden Raven» received about 200 submissions to competition programs from more than 25 countries from all over the world, but mostly from Arctic region.
On January, 27 the Festival announced the participants of competition programs.
The full-length feature films competition program included the following films:
THE BODY REMEMBERS WHEN THE WORLD BROKE OPEN (Canada, Norway, 2019, 105 min., dir. Kathleen Hepburn, Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers, Russian Premiere)
ПРОСТОЙ КАРАНДАШ/ THE PENCIL (Russia, 2019, 92 min., dir. Natalya Nazarova)
BERGMÁL/ ECHO (Iceland, France, Switzerland, 2019, 79 min., dir. Rúnar Rúnarsson, Russian Premiere)
A POLAR YEAR (France, 2018, 94 min., dir. Samuel Collardey, Russian Premiere)
ARCTIC (Iceland, 2018, 98 min., dir. Joe Penna)
The jury will be chaired by a film scholar, editor, actress, program director of Open Russian Film Festival «Kinotavr» Sitora ALIEVA. Also the jury will include producer Vladimir IGNATIEV, film critic, film director and professor Aleksey GUSEV, actor and director Goiko MITIC.
The full-length documentary films competition program included the following films:
SALVAGE (Canada, 2019, 60 min., dir. Amy C. Elliot, Russian Premiere)
MAN WITH A FAMILY - A GREENLANDIC ADVENTURE (Sweden, 2019, 76 min., dir. Mikael Strandberg, Ulrika Rang, Russian Premiere)
DESCENT INTO THE MAELSTROM (Norway, 2019, 68 min., dir. Jan Vardøen, International Premiere)
СЕВЕРНЫЙ ВЕТЕР БЫВАЕТ ТЁПЛЫМ/ NORTHERN WIND CAN BE WARM (Russia, 2019, 60 min., dir. Aleksey Golovkov)
HVOR MAN VENDER TILBAKE (Norway, 2019, 71 min., dir. Egil Håskjold Larsen)
The jury will be chaired by the head of German Films, Simone BAUMAN. Together with her, the winners of the non-fiction feature-length film competition will be determined by the head of the Directorate of Documentary Films of Channel One Svetlana KOLOSOVA and film scholar and professor Vsevolod KORSHUNOV, journalist and film director Malcolm DIXELIUS.
The following short films were selected for the competition of short feature films:
КОММЕНТАТОР/ THE NARRATOR (Russia, USA, 2019, 11 min., dir. Julia Trofimova)
МЯСОРУБКА/ MEATGRINDER (Russia, 2019, 20 min., dir. Vladislav Bakhanovich)
ПЛАЧУ С ВАМИ/ Crying with you (Russia, 2019, 16 min., dir. Paulina Andreeva)
ТИГР СРЕДИ БЕРЁЗ/ TIGER AMONG BIRCHES (Russia, 2019, 30 min., dir. Stanislav Svetlov)
УМРИ, ДЖУЛЬЕТТА/ JUST DIE, JULIET (Russia, 2019, 15 min., dir. Maxim Shabalin)
GÄSTHAMN/ HAVEN (Sweden, 2020, 9 min., dir. Simon Revilla, Russian premiere)
DET VI IKKE SNAKKER OM/ THINGS WE DON'T TALK ABOUT (Norway, 2019, 18 min., dir. Dan Johan Filip Svensson).
The following non-fiction short films were selected for short documentary films program:
ESKIMO INC. (United Kingdom, United States, 2019, 18 min., dir. Max Baring, Russian premiere)
GAMES OF SURVIVAL: A CULTURE PRESERVED IN ICE (USA, 2019, 16.30 min., dir. Nicholas Natale, Russian Premiere)
STEKENJOKK OCH ÄGGVAKTARNA/ STEKENJOKK AND THE GUARDIANS OF THE EGGS (Sweden, 2019, 29 min., dir. Alexander Rynéus, Per Bifrost, Russian Premiere)
THROUGH DARKNESS (Norway, 2019, 22 min., dir. Melissa Brandner, Manuela Mandl, Russian premiere)
UNTITLED (BURNED RUBBER ON ASPHALT, 2018) (Finland, 2019, 20 min., dir. Tinja Ruusuvuori, Russian Premiere)
WELCOME TO GWICHYAA ZHEE (USA, 2019, 13.40 min., dir. Len Necefer, Greg Balkin, Russian premiere)
In a special competition program for short films created in Chukotka, «FilmRising!» the following works are included:
КОЛЯН ХОРЕК ПРОТИВ ИГОРЯ ВИКТОРОВИЧА/ KOLYAN KHOREK AGAINST IGOR VIKTOROVICH (Russia, 2019, 7 min., dir. Sergei Gavrilenko)
ДОРОГИ, ЧТО ВЕДУТ ДОМОЙ.../ ROADS THAT LEAD HOME ... (Russia, 2019, 7 min., dir. Lydia Bolina)
СПЛАВ/ ALLOY (Russia, 2019, 14 min., dir. Vladimir Valuiskikh)
АНФИСА/ ANFISA (Russia, 2019, 15 min., dir. Lilia Ukhman, Vladimir Sertun)
РЕКИ ДРУЖБЫ/ RIVERS OF FRIENDSHIP (Russia, 2019, 4 min., dir. Vyacheslav Velvun).
The following prizes of the IV «Golden Raven» International Arctic Film Festival will be awarded:
- «The Big Golden Raven» – Grand-Prix of the Festival to the best film of full-length feature or documentary competitions according to the results of people's choice and RUB 250 000 to the producer
- «The Golden Raven» – for the best full-length feature film and RUB 100 000 according to the decision of the expert jury to the representative of the film who will be chosen by the jury (it can be either the producer, or the director, or the scriptwriter, or the actor, or the composer, or the cinematographer)
- «The Golden Raven» – for the best full-length documentary film and RUB 100 000 according to the decision of the expert jury to the representative of the film who will be chosen by the jury (it can be either the producer, or the director, or the scriptwriter, or the actor, or the composer, or the cinematographer)
- «The Small Golden Raven» – for the best short feature film and RUB 50 000 according to the results of people's rating choice to the director of the film
- «The Small Golden Raven» – for the best short documentary film and RUB 50 000 according to the results of people's rating choice to the director of the film
- Special Prize of the regional competitive selection «FilmRising!» and RUB 30 000 according to the decision of the expert jury to the director of the film
- Special Prizes of the Jury and Organizing Committee
The Festival is being held by the Department of Creative Projects Development of Russian Filmmakers' Union, by the «Youth Initiative» Production Center, by the Committee for Culture, Sport and Tourism of the Chukotka Autonomous Region, by the Autonomous institution of the Chukotka Autonomous Region for Cinema Distribution and Cinema Services for the Population «Okrkinovideoprokat» and is supported by the Government of the Chukotka Autonomous Region.
The film festival is financed from the funds of the State program «The development of education, culture, sports, tourism and youth policy of the Chukotka Autonomous Region in 2016-2020».